Thursday, October 23, 2014

Mentor(s)

One of the best ways to learn about an unfamiliar subject is to speak with others who share a similar interest in the topic and already have an adequate understanding of the matter, or at a least a base understanding of its components.  Throughout the period in which this project is to be conducted, I plan to contact/collaborate with several experts in the fields of behavioral genetics and human relations.  By meeting with multiple experts, not only will I develop a more coherent understanding of the behavioral differences between social introverts and extroverts as a result of the reinforced instruction by these individuals, but I will also be able to look into their differing opinions of matters and interpret for myself as to how I should think critically about some subjects.  In order to cultivate the greatest understanding of the factors behind being a social introvert or extrovert, as well as of the mental processes of introverts and extroverts and their roles in society, qualified individuals from the fields of both behavioral genetics and human relations, in addition to others possibly, will be consulted so that they may explain phenomena to me and lend their own interpretation of results from studies conducted throughout the course of the project.

My primary mentor for this project will be Dr. John Peles, Ph. D., a professor in biology that teaches behavioral genetics at the Greater Allegheny campus of Penn State University.  Dr. Peles has agreed to share his interpretation of data produced from the upcoming research studies and to help me better understand the concept of "nature vs. nurture" in the context of the behavior of introverts and extroverts, as well as to aid me in finding connections with other faculty at Penn State Greater Allegheny who may be able to serve as additional mentors.  My father, along with his colleagues, should be able to help me understand the factors behind the differences in social introverts and extroverts (environment or genetics?), and other co-workers at his campus should be able to help me recognize the roles that introverts and extroverts hold in society.  With more information forthcoming, I will be sure to update this post and page whenever I begin to contact more individuals in regards to serving as mentors on this project, and as I begin to consult their intelligence in interpreting data.

No comments:

Post a Comment